Saturday, October 4, 2008

Part 3 - My Network Setup

To start with, my network was setup as shown on the left.

This wasn't going to work.

Fortunately, my Gateway has two connections on it.

I have a USB and a Ethernet Port.




Hardware used in the configuration of the Static IPs is as follows:

1. Qwest DSL Provided Actiontec M1000 without Wireless Network Module
2. Windows XP SP2 with Enhanced Firewall
3. T-Mobile Hotspot@Home Cisco Linksys Router WRTU54G-TM







When I was finished configuring this network, I ended up with this Network Configuration.

The path to figure this out wasn't easy.

Neither Qwest or T-Mobile seemed to know how to fix my connection issues.

Neither new the cause, and even after I figured out the cause, neither had a solution.

By reading this blog, you will save yourself countless hours of frustration and pain in trying to figure this out for yourself.

I have read many posts on the internet of people's frustration with T-Mobile due to connection issues, I suspect all these issues are directly related to either Firewalls, NATs, and/or VPNs.

The reason I am writing this blog, I couldn't find a resource that specifically addressed this in plain English.

You will notice, that I am not striving for techno jargon.

Please don't correct me, if you are a IT Network Engineer, you aren't my target audience.

No comments: